Skip to content

UPDATE: Auburn man who worked at Halco airlifted to Strong Memorial Hospital after fire

Sheriff Kevin Henderson provided an update on an injury after the fire on Thursday that prompted a heavy response from first responders around Phelps.

He says that Frank Bell, 53, of Auburn was cutting metal with a chop saw in a recycling building on the property when a fire ignited where he was working.

Deputies say that the fire was contained to the recycling building, but did cause extensive damage.

Henderson says Bell suffered head and facial injuries, which resulted in him being airlifted from the scene.

Mercy Flight transported Bell to Strong Memorial Hospital for treatment.

The fire remains under investigation, but does not appear to be suspicious at this point. Ontario County Emergency Management and the Sheriff’s Office are carrying out the investigation.

Deputies say that Oaks Corners, Phelps, Geneva, North Side, Lyons, Marbletown, Border City, and Junius fire departments were called to the scene.

Phelps Ambulance was also called to the scene.

The Wayne County Sheriff’s Office also assisted, according to Sheriff Henderson. He says OSHA has been notified of the incident.

Photo by John Greco, Code35 Fire Photography.


Firefighters battle flames at Halco Heating & Plumbing in Phelps

First responders were called to a structure fire at Halco Heating & Plumbing on County Road 6 in Phelps on Thursday.

The call came in around 2:30 p.m. with first responders from Oaks Corners, Phelps, and Geneva on-scene. Others were toned out, but could not be immediately confirmed.

It was reported to be the recycling bin near, or inside one of the commercial buildings on-site.

Heavy smoke could be seen in photos and video from the scene.

The fire appeared to be brought under control in about 45 minutes.

It’s unclear at this time if there were any injuries.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Photo by John Greco, Code35 Fire Photography.







Top