Village of Lansing Mayor Don Hartill is looking ahead after suffering his second personal loss in a year and a half.
On Thursday, his cottage near Maplewood Road on Cayuga Lake in the Town of Ulysses was destroyed by a fire.
Around 1:15 p.m. Thursday, he received a call from Jodi Dake, clerk/treasurer for the Village of Lansing, saying that Tompkins County Dispatch called trying to get in touch with him.
He called dispatch back and learned there was a fire at 39 Maplewood Road.
“I drove over there as fast I could, arriving around 1:30, and there was still smoke but no visible flames,” Hartill said. “It was a shock to say the least. I lost my wife a year-and-a-half ago. To lose my cottage was not nice.”