An 18-point performance from Elijah Hughes helped Syracuse (18-8, 9-4 ACC) dominate #18/22 Louisville (18-9, 9-5 ACC), 69-49, Wednesday night in the Carrier Dome.
After being quiet from three in the last two games, Hughes knocked in four 3-pointers on his way to the game-high 18 points. He also contributed six rebounds, two steals, two blocks and an assist. Oshae Brissett also had a bounce back performance with 16 points after shooting 7-of-15 from the floor. Buddy Boeheim and Tyus Battle rounded out the double-digit scoring numbers with 14 and 11 points, respectively. Marek Dolezaj led the Orange with a season-high nine rebounds, one shy of matching his career best.
Syracuse has now won five of the last seven meetings against the Cardinals, including the last two. Louisville, who entered the game averaging 76 points per game, was held to a season-low 49. The 49 points tie the fewest they have ever scored against Syracuse, matching the March 3, 2012 game where the Orange came out on top 58-49.
- Syracuse dominates #18 Louisville, 69-49 (Cuse.com)
- Defense leads Syracuse to crucial blowout win over Louisville (Syracuse.com)
- Final: Syracuse 69, Louisville 49 (NunesMagician.com)
- Box score: Syracuse basketball vs. Louisville (Syracuse.com)
COACH BOEHEIM POSTGAME:
– The Final Word: Beat writers discuss Syracuse’s upset of Louisville (Daily Orange)
– Syracuse banks key win over Louisville to start brutal stretch run (Syracuse.com)
– Tyus Battle embraces playmaker role to lead Syracuse past No. 18 Louisville (Daily Orange)
– Seven takeaways from Syracuse basketball’s 69-49 win over Louisville (NunesMagician.com)
– Best and worst from Syracuse basketball’s win vs. Louisville (Syracuse.com)
– Marek Dolezaj’s hustle mission: ‘I just go into the game to get the win’ (Syracuse.com)
– Photos: Syracuse basketball vs. Louisville (2019) (Syracuse.com)
Walking off with the dub ? pic.twitter.com/2Mu8KlbYXt
— Syracuse Men’s Basketball (@Cuse_MBB) February 21, 2019
Syracuse enters the toughest part of its schedule as four of its next six opponents are ranked in the top 20, including three that are in the top 10. First up for the Orange is #18 Louisville on Wednesday night at 7 p.m. in the Carrier Dome. The game will be broadcast on ESPN and will be available on the Watch ESPN app. Fans can also listen to the action on the Syracuse IMG Radio Network.
Syracuse looks to bounce back after a 73-58 setback on the road to NC State last Wednesday. In the loss, senior Frank Howard tied his career high with five 3-pointers on his way to a season-high 21 points. Sophomore Marek Dolezaj also equaled his season-high in points with 10 and grabbed five rebounds. Louisville was able to hold on and beat Clemson 56-55 in its last game, improving its record to 18-8, including 9-4 in the ACC. The win against the Tigers broke a two-game losing streak for the Cardinals. Read More
MORE GAME DAY COVERAGE:
– What channel is the Syracuse-Louisville basketball game on? TV, tip time, live stream (Syracuse.com)
– Syracuse’s next opponent: What to know about No. 18 Louisville (Daily Orange)
– Syracuse vs. Louisville preview: Five things to watch (NunesMagician.com)
– Beat writers predict decisive result as Syracuse hosts No. 18 Louisville (Daily Orange)
– Assessing SU’s bubble status before season’s toughest stretch (NunesMagician.com)
– Orange opens as favorite over nationally-ranked Louisville (Syracuse.com)
– Louisville head coach Chris Mack emphasizes limited turnovers against Syracuse 2-3 zone (NunesMagician.com)
– Syracuse men’s basketball vs. Louisville: TV/streaming, time, odds, history & more (NunesMagician.com)
– Fans get In FREE at Saturday’s ESPN’s GameDay telecast (Cuse.com)
– Louisville has tools to beat SU’s zone, prevent threes (LINKS) (NunesMagician.com)
WATCH: Chris Mack talks Syracuse, strength of schedule and more https://t.co/9SeX70nhH5
— Courier Journal (@courierjournal) February 19, 2019
— Bobby Manning (@RealBobManning) February 18, 2019