From walk-on to the nation’s best, redshirt freshman Andre Szmyt is the winner of the 2018 Lou Groza Award.
He accepted the award, which is presented to the nation’s top placekicker, live on ESPN during The Home Depot College Football Awards show at the College Football Hall of Fame.
Szmyt is the first Syracuse kicker to win the Groza Award and third freshman to do so, joining Arizona State’s Thomas Weber (2007) and Florida State’s Roberto Aguayo (2013).
Named for Pro Football Hall of Famer Lou “The Toe” Groza, the award has been presented annually to the best kicker in college football since 1992. Szmyt beat out fellow finalists Cooper Rothe (Wyoming) and Cole Tracy (LSU) in a national vote of college football experts to win the award. Read More
— Landan Salem (@TheLandanSalem) December 7, 2018
– Andre Cisco, Andre Szmyt named to Walter Camp All-American team (Daily Orange)
– Andre Szmyt wins Lou Groza award for nation’s best kicker (Daily Orange)
– Syracuse kicker Andre Szmyt wins Lou Groza Award (NunesMagician.com)
– Syracuse football begins bowl prep hungry to chew off more meat in 2019 (Syracuse.com)
– From walk-on to nation’s best, Syracuse football K Andre Szmyt wins Lou Groza Award (Syracuse.com)